Sunday, October 14, 2012

Again & Again

     I'm busting myself: I'm playing "hookie" from church today; and that is a-okay! I have several things I need to get finished for the upcoming week. Oooo! busted again! You see, first I went to Facebook, then I came here... and now I'm writing a blog post instead of the stuff I need to do.  Oh, I also drew a diagram for an idea for the Christmas Parade float TPC is going to have. In December. I really put the "pro" in procrastinator!!! Today's post will be just a quick one!

     I'm feeling really grateful today. Nothing over-the-top special has happened, just an overwhelming awareness of how good God is to me. I have a husband that loves me. Four amazing and beautiful children. A daughter-in-law who helps my son want to be a great dad and husband. A grandson who puts a smile on my face whenever I think about him. Another grand-baby on the way! A place to call home; the stability my husband provides for us, his family. A church that I love (and that it's not the end of the world if I miss a Sunday!) Health. That's one I thought I would never be able to be thankful for again. I'm thankful for the doctor who listened to me and cared enough to keep trying until we got it right.

     My gratitude list goes on and on. This year I'm even looking forward to the holidays (another one of those things I never thought I'd say again!) I'm humbled and thankful for what God is doing in me in the here-and-now. I've rested in the past victories He's given me for awhile, maybe too long, but now is the time when He is getting ready to do something amazing, once again. This is a season of preparation for me. I can feel it in my bones, down to my core. Good things are on my horizon!

     A long time ago, my pastor said that instead of asking God to bless what I'm doing (or, want to do) I should ask Him to lead me to what He's blessing. I think that's one of those "dangerous prayers." Praying it has certainly led me down interesting paths. It's lead me to seasons that have tested me, some that have strengthened me and others that have blessed me - or allowed me to experience the pure joy of blessing someone else. I find myslef praying it again in this season, "Father-God, please lead me to what You are blessing. Amen."

     As I go through my day today, I'll be meditating on the exhortation of Philippians 4:8, to ponder "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Mentally I will be noting the ways I've been blessed and of the people in my life that remind me of each of those qualities. Then I will offer my Heavenly Father my praises. And I'll be doing that here, at home, throughout the day. No pastor, though the Bible does say that we're all ministers of His love. No church, because I am the church; the church isn't a building or facility. No hesitations, for His Word has made it clear that I can come expectantly to His throne any time, with anything ,and He will be there listening and interceding. Tell me, how did I, the "chief of sinners," become the recipient of such lavish love?

In His grace and peace,

Tonya




References
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." ~Philippians 4:8

"This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." ~1 Timothy 1:15

No comments:

Post a Comment